Finally after a three month hiatus of blogging, I decided to return. Well, then again, I only posted once anyway (to which I did not hesitate to delete). I'm hoping that blogging will help me differentiate the days. When you are unemployed, the days start blending in together with no significance. Everyday is the same story - wake up, check every hospital website in hopes to find a new posting for residency, watch a few episodes of HOUSE M.D., meet an old friend for coffee/dinner, a glass of wine and straight to bed.
When I first set out on my journey to become a nurse, I thought, "Hey! I want to make a difference in humanity! It's not all about the money!" Such a naive thought. If you want to be a nurse, this better be your passion and not just the passion you claim you have on your personal statement to impress admission counselors. I'm talking about, four grueling years of working your ass off - studying for exams that you must get a C+ or higher, enduring long clinical hours, sucking up to professors so that you may get the placement in hospitals and units you want (I wish I knew this during college), working for free (they call it "training") - all that! After college, when you do land a residency, it's probably night shift because you have no seniority. All day long you bust ass making sure people stay alive but at the end of the day, they may not even thank you. Nurses often have to clean up poop, pee and vomit. All this for a starting rate of $25.44. This is not easy money and definitely not a easy profession.
So, this brings me to, WHY THE HECK DID I WANT TO BE A NURSE!? Well, someone's gotta take care of the sick folk. Ever get so sick that you couldn't fetch your own medicine or water but luckily your mom/pops/honey/sister/brother went out of their way to care for you? What if there wasn't anyone there to care for you? You don't want to know what it feels like. Thank and be appreciative to your nurses people.
I can't imagine being a nurse for the rest of my life, but this is where I want to start. Just as soon as I find a residency program!
DAMN YOU RECESSION.
Jan 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYeah, DAMN the recession.
ReplyDeleteBut don't worry, if you keep trying you'll eventually find something!
Being a nurse sounds like hard work, but I bet it's a great feeling at the end of the day - to know that whether they choose to appreciate it or not, you're making a difference in peoples' lives, and helping them through perhaps their worst days.
Thanks!!! I don't even know how this blog thing works.. I had no idea you commented. I just figured out how to comment on yours too!
ReplyDelete